Meta Quest (2): New update improves tracking, Oculus Move expands
The next Quest update is here and brings minor improvements. Oculus Move is extended to mobile devices.
Update 38.0 has been rolling out to Quest owners in a staggered fashion since March 7, 2022. As usual, it can take up to a week or more for the update to reach all users.
You can check the current firmware version of your Meta Quest 2 under Settings > System > Software Update. If the update is ready for installation, the option will appear in the same window. A manual installation should not be necessary, since Quest (2) usually installs updates automatically after they are ready in the VR headset.
Update without surprises
It has been just under two months since Meta rolled out the last update. Update 38.0 seems to be a gap filler that does not bring any major features and bridges the time until the next major update.
Here’s what’s new:
- When you’re in an Oculus party, VR games with enhanced multiplayer features are highlighted in the app library. This makes it easier to jump into corresponding VR games together.
- You can now see people you’ve recently met in VR, join their games, and send them friend requests when you’re in a VR app and press the Oculus button. Under the People tab and in the Oculus Companion app, you’ll also see people you’ve recently played with.
- The tracking system has been improved, which makes it necessary to redraw the Guardian area. Meta does not specify how the tracking has been improved.
- The settings have been reworked for clarity and now offer a search window where you can search for specific features.
- Some interface elements have been updated and now use the Meta logo (we reported).
- Tooltips in the quick actions menu now guide you through the available quick actions.
- Couch and table tracking are no longer experimental features and can be found under Settings > Guardian.
- Keyboard tracking and Bluetooth settings are also now no longer experimental and can now be found in Device Settings.
As mentioned, the big features and improvements probably won’t come until update 39.0, including mobile ASW for more performant PC VR streaming and the long-announced Infinite Office. The fact that table and keyboard tracking are now regular features can be seen as preparation for the virtual office.
Oculus Move is leaving the headset
Meta has also announced an update for the fitness tracker Oculus Move. Until now, the user’s own fitness data was only available in VR. Starting next month, they will also be displayed in the Oculus Companion app if interested. Those using an iOS gadget can also connect Oculus Move with Apple’s fitness app Apple Health. The VR activities will then be displayed there alongside other fitness data.
Exporting VR stats is voluntary and requires consent, as fitness data is transferred (in encrypted form) to external devices and Meta’s servers. According to Meta, they don’t feed into the advertising business. For more privacy links, see the announcement on the Oculus blog.
The new Oculus Move feature is rolling out in April and could also be part of the next update.
Read more about Meta Quest 2:
- SteamVR in February 2022: Every second VR headset is a Quest
- Meta Quest (2): Immersive geo-guessing game for free
- Meta Quest 2: Next update brings new PC VR feature
Note: Links to online stores in articles can be so-called affiliate links. If you buy through this link, MIXED receives a commission from the provider. For you the price does not change.