Epic Games is funding a few VR and AR startups
Epic funded almost four hundred Unreal Engine projects this year, including five XR projects from German-speaking countries.
The studio behind the Unreal Engine and the megahit Fortnite has been funding promising projects based on the Unreal Engine since 2019. Every year, 100 million US dollars are distributed to developers, start-ups and companies. They can apply for a funding amount of up to 500,000 US dollars each. The money does not have to be returned and the project owners retain full ownership rights to their (commercial) products.
Epic recently released the full list of 2021 MegaGrant recipients, which includes 390 individual projects. Road to VR went to the trouble of picking out all the XR projects. In the process, the website came up with 31 XR projects, which are listed below in alphabetical order.
XR projects from Germany, Austria and Switzerland
Among them are five projects from German-speaking countries:
The Swiss company Brunner Elektronik is developing the Novasim mobile VR flight simulator for professional pilot training.
Humancodeable from Germany develops a VR framework that helps develop VR, mobile, and desktop apps.
Lightscape VR from Germany is developing a drag-and-drop solution that allows 3D and CAD models to be brought into virtual reality as quickly and easily as possible.
The Austrian Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CeMM) is developing DataDiVR, a VR platform for biomedical data analysis.
And finally, there is Visometry from Germany, which is developing AR solutions for the automotive industry.
Complete list of all supported projects:
- 6th Sense VR - Ayatana Concept (France)
- ALO VR - VigourVR (Singapore)
- Art Reality Studio - IVR 6 (United States)
- BRUNNER Elektronik AG - Unreal Engine Integration for BRUNNER NOVASIM VR/MR (Switzerland)
- b.ReX GmbH - Intelligent Cycling
- Byker Biotech Pty Ltd - VR Lab for 3D human specimens (China)
- Dmitro Tsalko - EnergoVR (Ukraine)
- Eternal Monke Games - Dragon.IK - Universal Inverse Kinematics Plugin
- HumanCodeable - Advanced VR Framework (Germany)
- IMP - Interactive Media Production - VR Fire Safety Simulator
- Lightscape VR (Germany)
- North Carolina State University (NCSU) - transVRse (United States)
- ONMOTIO - Immersive Technical Training in Inhospitable or Dangerous Zones Using VR (Canada)
- Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CeMM) - DataDiVR Interactive Data Analytics Platform (Austria)
- Tribe XR - DJ in VR (United States)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville - Interfacing Unreal with Physical Computing & New Media VR Pedagogy (United States)
- Vantari VR - Critical Care Procedural Training Suite (Australia)
- VRSpeaking LLC. -Ovation (United States)
- Western University - Using AR/VR to Improve Pediatric Surgical Patient's Hospital Experience (Canada)
- Raytracer PTY Ltd. - Underwater Virtual Reality Simulation for Astronaut Training (Australia)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra - Mixed Reality in Fetal Intervention Using Unreal Engine (Spain)
- VYV Corporation - Photon Augmented Reality Studio (Canada)
- Lemay - AR Workflow from Revit to Reality (Canada)
- New Reality Co. - Rainforest: A Multiplayer AR Experience (United States)
- Oakland University - Augmented Reality Center (ARC) for Industrial Applications (United States)
- Marquette University - Immersive and Augmented Media Design Fellowship (United States)
- Brainstorm Multimedia S.L. - EDISON - Unreal Template Based AR Solution for Education (Spain)
- Createxion - Draw-It AR (India)
- University of Michigan - AR System for Lunar EVAs (United States)
- Visometry GmbH - HQ-CAD-AR on a Driving Car (Germany)
- RealityArts Studio / Velarion - The Stranger (Turkey)
Note: Links to online stores in articles can be so-called affiliate links. If you buy through this link, MIXED receives a commission from the provider. For you the price does not change.